Thursday, December 5, 2019

Almost 2020 Now!

This year my family (kids, husband etc.) have moved away from Seattle! We aren't very far, but living on an island now sure is different! My favorite part is the calm and peaceful environment..my least favorite part is that I have to think a LOT harder about how and what to recycle...which I know is a blessing in disguise or growing pain I guess, but yeah. It is sure a good way to get involved with the scene of recycling!

Regarding recycling, I have always believed in it, and love that it happens. I grew up mostly in Portland, Oregon and we definitely collected at least all of our bottles and cans to bring to the stores to get our "deposit" back. I also always bought into trash being in the appropriate place, I remember as a young adult living in NYC my one time boyfriend was SO embarrassed when I walked back to pick up some trash that he threw on the ground, hopefully I was able to eventually pass along some good reasons to care but I don't know. NOW I am completely obsessed, it happened over the year which began with me getting accepted and going through a Master Composting/Sustainable Steward program in Seattle. I had applied a few years in a row and am SO GRATEFUL that I finally was able to get in and take part in it.

Having my options as far as recycling a bit more limited and now having to really take an active part in getting it to the right place has got me kind of collecting/saving "trash", with the goal of figuring out either where to take it to recycle. reuse, or even figuring out something to make of it! I was very inspired by the Recology Artist in Residence program artist in residence program that is taking place in Seattle over the last few years, who gets to use items found in the sorting of recycling to create pieces of art with...I am not so close to Seattle, but maybe I'll either do something like that on my own, or helping kids to do something like that which is also appealing to me.

Thanks for taking the time to read! In the last few years I totally forgot about this particular blog on blogger that I have, so I decided to post an update. We will see where this next chapter in life leads me! 

No comments: